line-height (was: inline h*ll)

From: <JOrendorff@ixl.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 18:52:14 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
When I set line-height, I want the distance between lines to
remain as consistent as possible.  Unevenly spaced lines are
ugly and confusing.

Almost nothing should override line-height.  Superscripts and
subscripts absolutely should *not* affect line spacing.  Very large
type or images might.

Unfortunately, the spec already defines a different algorithm.  It's
okay, just ugly.  Perhaps there should be a property that lets the
stylist choose the algorithm (cf. table-layout):

   line-layout: fixed;  /* pleasant double meaning */

--
Jason Orendorff