RE: Units, font sizing, and zoom suggestion for CSS 3

At 5:47 PM +0100 1/20/00, Karlsson Kent - keka wrote:

>I did not say it was bad per se, just that "em" really is
>something else.
>
>What you are aiming for is the Åp unit which I suggested.

Åp is not the same as em in CSS. In TrueType/Type 1 at least, the em
is a parameter of the font determined by the font designer. It has no
necessary relation to any physical features of the glyphs. Instead,
it refers to the interlinear distance when "set solid".

See:

<http://style.metrius.com/junk/enormous.gif> - the horizontal lines
spanning the windows represent ascent, baseline, and descent. Em is
the region from ascent to descent. Note that glyph features are free
to protrude beyond the em, or fall short.

The same font, set solid:
<http://style.metrius.com/junk/emtolineheight.gif>

--
Todd Fahrner