Re: Size of unordered glyphs

--- Erik van der Poel <erik@netscape.com> wrote:
> Matthew Brealey wrote:
> >
> > Clearly the size of ordered glyphs is set by font-family, but how
> about
> > unordered ones.
>
> Ordered glyphs? Which section of CSS 1 or 2 are you talking about?
Something like:

OL /* Inherits to LI */
{font: 48px fantasy}

The font-size is inherited to the marker box and therefore the glyphs for
the list item is set by font-size.

However, given
UL {font: 48px fantasy; list-style: square}, since the markers are not
from the font, the font declaration has no effect.

Yet one still might want to specify the size of the UL's marker. You can't
even do it using marker boxes:

UL LI:before {display: marker;
content: counter(acounter, square);
font-size: ineffective;
height: notvalid}

> > The issue of the size that the glyph on ordered list items seems to be
> > quite important - do they have height = font-size, height=x-height or
> what?
>
> Ordered lists use numbers or whatever for their ordering. I don't
> understand where font size comes into this.
Sorry that was a mental slip, it should have read unordered.

- in ordered markers, font-size certainly does have an important role,
since, e.g.,
OL LI:before {display: marker;
content: counter(acounter, decimal);
counter-increment: acounter;
font-size: 54px}
does have an effect (one presumes, although it is not explicitly stated as
such (incidentally, there are some issues that I am unsure about regarding
generated content; e.g., the status of inserted HTML (as in :before
{content: url(awebpage.html)} - does the inserted web page behave like an
<object>, i.e., it is an independent entity wwithin the document, or not -
what about :before {display: inline; content: url(apage.html)} - is the
normal implication of body - a block element - suppressed, is it an
inline-block, are inline web pages as generated content even valid, or
does it depend on the content of that page??????)).

=====