From: Matthew Brealey <thelawnet@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:44:09 -0800 (PST)
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
This specification does not define how alphabetic systems wrap at the end
of the alphabet.
For instance, after 26 list items, 'lower-latin' rendering is undefined.
Therefore, for long lists, we recommend that authors specify true numbers.
aa ab ac ad ae ... zz ... aaa aab aac aad (just look at a spreadsheet)

What makes this limitation all the more mystifying is that negative values
_are_ permitted on counter-increment and counter-reset, where a real
problem does exist (e.g., content: counter(function, lower-alpha);
counter-reset: -1). Therefore, I would suggest that the following sentence
should be included:

'Where it is possible that a value for a counter function will result in
an unrenderable value in the specified list style type, decimal should be
used instead. E.g.,:
LI {counter(function, lower-alpha); counter-increment: -1)} OL
{counter-reset: 26} results in:

As a result, I would propose that the restriction that increments and
resets must be integer values should be removed.

In addition, could somebody explain what the counters() function is meant
to do, because I haven't got a clue - no examples are given and the text
in the spec has got me stumped.

From Matthew Brealey (http://members.tripod.co.uk/lawnet (for law)or http://members.tripod.co.uk/lawnet/WEBFRAME.HTM (for CSS))
Do You Yahoo!?