Re: Floating objects

Bert Bros wrote:

>>> Also take a look at the 'overflow' property of CSS2. [...]
>> Speaking of which, is there any recommended placement of the scrollbar when
>> this property is set to 'scroll'? [...]
> The "recommended" way to create a scrolling box is to use whatever the
> user prefers; and if you don't know that, then use the standard way
> for the windowing system you're programming for.

I'd really appreciate a property to decide the placement. The reason is that a
user setting would affect all scroll-boxes, and my HTML/CSS 'engine' is put
into a gadget (or widget as some prefer) and used in other programs like a
news-agent, which marks-up the displayed text in classes like 'quoted',
'signature' etc. -- the user of the news-agent can then supply his own
stylesheet, and a nice setting for quoted text could be:

   Div.quoted { height: 3em;
                overflow: auto;
                x-scrollbar: left;
                ... }

I.e. to limit the amount of quoted text to 3 lines max, and provide a scrollbar
if more text exists. However, the scrollbar generally goes to the right (where
it looks best) but for this box it should be placed to the left.  Another
missing property is one that says that the box should display the bottom-most
contents (so that it's the last lines of the quoted text which is visible by
default)

I realize that these features may not have much to do with 'styling', so I'd
settle with providing them as custom extensions of the CSS-standard.  So the
final question is if there are any special way to mark such custom extensions?
E.g. by putting 'x-' infront of them, as in the example?

> Where you put those scrollbars is also up to your sense of what looks
> good and what is user-friendly. You can put them in the box (and thus
> reduce the space for the text), [...] or you can have them pop up
> outside the box, or anything you like.

I'd like to place them between the border and the margin (which matches the GUI
I use) -- so should I not subtract the width of the scrollbar to any of the
given width values? I.e. is the width of the element then: MarginLeft +
BorderLeft + PaddingLeft + Width + PaddingRight + BorderRight + ScrollbarWidth
+ MarginWidth?

Kind regards Allan
--
<sb>
Wndows is f.ne for bckground comu.ication.