Re: Inline h*ll

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@fas.harvard.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 09:46:07 -0500 (EST)
To: www-style@w3.org
On Fri, 14 Jan 2000 02:40:59 -0800 (PST),
=?iso-8859-1?q?Matthew=20Brealey?= (thelawnet@yahoo.com) wrote:
> --- Ian Hickson <py8ieh@bath.ac.uk> wrote:

> > However, previous
> > proposals from both David Baron and myself have suggested that to make
> > line-height work well for blocks, an anonymous inline should wrap all
> > blocks' contents. This would result in the same effect as with the
> > empty inline BR in the previous example, and is what both Opera 4 and
> > Mozilla 5 have implemented.
> If you are wanting to browsers to diverge from the published
> specification, far better would be to encourage them to follow a sensible
> line box proposal in the first place.
> As I see it, there is nothing that is useful in the current float
> specification, and a whole lot that is very bad. It is illogical,
> confusing and almost without any merit whatsoever.

The best reason to do anonymous inline boxes the way I suggest is
that it prevents non-presentational markup from having side-effects
in unexpected ways.  According to your interpretation of the
current spec, the following markup (with lines broken where shown):

Some text and
<big style="font-size: 200%">some bigger text</big>
in a paragraph.

would be rendered differently whether it was directly enclosed within a
p element with line-height: 120% or if it was entirely enclosed in a
(completely unstyled) span element within that p.

> Under my proposal, the enormous advanatage of having line box height set
> by line-height [wow! whatever next? - box heights being set by height?]
> exists.
> Under it, you would be able to say with confidence that the line box is
> the height of max(line-height, height).

> It is also far more intuitive, and I cannot see any area in which the
> existing spec is better.

If line-height of a block sets the line-box height (which is what you
seem to be saying), then the following examples of commonly found
markup (and their CSS equivalents) would be a mess:

The line box height of the paragraph would be much smaller than the
font size, even if the line-height were a scaling factor, so the text
would overlap.  There would be no way to make only the line with big
text be bigger (which is what should normally happen).  That's

L. David Baron    Sophomore, Harvard (Physics)    dbaron@fas.harvard.edu
Links, SatPix, CSS, etc.     <URL: http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~dbaron/ >
WSP CSS AC                      <URL: http://www.webstandards.org/css/ >