Re: Unable to read W3C style sheet previews using IE3.02?

From: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 09:46:29 -0800
To: Roy.Gardiner@natwest.com, www-style@w3.org
At 4:56 PM +0000 1/6/00, Roy.Gardiner@natwest.com wrote:
>Attempting to read
>using IE4 is OK but using IE3.02 the text comes up microscopic. In
>http://www.w3.org/StyleSheets/Core/ it says that browser sniffing is used to
>select a suitable style sheet. What's wrong, anyone?

My guess is that you're using a proxy server of some kind? The
stylesheet for more nearly conformant browsers is getting stuck in
cache and sent to IE3, which chokes on it.

This is a known liability of the project, to be addressed in the
upcoming revision (yes, i know, you've heard this before).

Meanwhile, if you're willing and able to muss up your pages to
accommodate IE3, you can try some of the IE3-specific workarounds
listed from http://css.nu/pointers/ . Or you can advise IE3 users in
your organization to upgrade (to most anything except NS4.x) or turn
stylesheet "support" off in their browsers.
Todd Fahrner

The printed page transcends space and time. The printed page, the
infinitude of books, must be transcended. THE ELECTRO-LIBRARY.

  - El Lissitzky, 1923