Re: Horizontal rules

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Tantek Çelik wrote:
> >From Matthew Brealey
> >Date: Tue, Feb 29, 2000, 11:28 AM
>
> That being said:
>
> > completely described in CSS3:
>
> Untrue.  There are aspects in this style sheet which are not valid features in
> any CSS Rec or public WD.

Another problem is that it's impossible to represent the rules for
handling presentational HTML in a user stylesheet because the weight in
the cascade doesn't come out correctly.  The rules for precendence of
non-CSS presentational hints [1] are equivalent to placed them at a
level of the cascade between user non-important and author
non-important.

It would be nice if CSS had a formal way of representing this level of
the cascade in UA stylesheets just so that UA stylesheets could be
represented in a more formal way.  There would be no way of
testing/requiring that user agents implement such a weight, but it
would allow the UA stylesheet in the appendix to be more complete and
correct.  It could also make it possible for other specifications to
give suggested UA stylesheets for things other than HTML.  For
example:

table[border] {
  border-collapse: separate ! preshint;
  border-width: 3px ! preshint;
  }

-David

[ I'm testing a different mail agent from my usual to see if it handles
In-Reply-To headers correctly.  Hopefully it won't come out any worse. ]

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/cascade.html#q12

L. David Baron    Sophomore, Harvard (Physics)    dbaron@fas.harvard.edu
Links, SatPix, CSS, etc.     <URL: http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~dbaron/ >
WSP CSS AC                      <URL: http://www.webstandards.org/css/ >