Re: Block, inline, inline-level, block-level and inline block

From: firespring <firespring@nfx.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 12:46:06 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
Can someone tell me if there is any rule which defines precedence for
positioning control? What I mean is, in several browsers I have found that
if I define a box width to be say, 600px, if an image contained within that
box is wider than 600px, or if an inner box within that box is wider than
600px, that my outer boxth width is forced outward to match the width of the
content.

I HAD thought that there were defined mechanisms like OVERFLOW that
were to handle cases like this by directing the excess content elsewhere.
If that is NOT the case, what NEEDS to be defined somewhere is which
properties have precedence in determining the width (and height) of a box,
and/or how WIDTH (and height) is inherited.

Rick Johnson
firespring@nfx.net