Pseudo-element specificity calculation conflict in CSS2

From: Bloo <bloo@blooberry.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 03:39:25 -0500 (EST)
To: www-style@w3.org

I looked for clarification in the errata, but I did not see
any - is this a known problem or a non-issue that I am not
seeing through on first glance? The following two points seem
to directly conflict to even the casual reader:

<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/cascade.html#cascading-order>
Point 3:
  "The secondary sort is by specificity of selector: more
   specific selectors will override more general ones.
   Pseudo-elements and pseudo-classes are counted as normal
   elements and classes, respectively."

<URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/cascade.html#specificity>
4th bullet:
   "ignore pseudo-elements."