Re: Inline styles are banished to legacy

From: Walter Ian Kaye <walter@natural-innovations.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 16:20:13 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org
At 06:17p -0500 02/21/00, Simon St.Laurent didst inscribe upon an
electronic papyrus:
>At 03:13 PM 2/21/00 -0800, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
>  >Let's take a real-world example. I use CSS for syntax coloring on
>  ><http://www.natural-innovations.com/as/snippets.html> (yes, that's
>  >a Mac-oriented page for an obvious reason). I'd like to know how
>  >the syntax coloring could ever be done without inline styles.
>  >Well, unless I were to make new tags for each syntax part, but then
>  >it wouldn't be HTML anymore.
>
>Couldn't you use the class attribute?  Or is that gone too?

Oooops... ::blushing:: As Emily Litella would say, "Nevermind!"
You're right -- that's actually what I used on that page. ;)
Funny, I was just eating eggs... and now they're on my face!

Where did I use the style attribute... I know I had to use it
somewhere... ah, found it. I use it in the "navigation panel"
on my pages. Hmm... I suppose I could use class there also,
if I had to. I prefer to keep that area self contained, though.
I guess that's the value of inline styles -- so you can do
things like server-side includes, and it's all in one block.

-Walter