Re: Inline styles are banished to legacy

From: Walter Ian Kaye <walter@natural-innovations.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 15:13:17 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org
At 05:04p -0500 02/21/00, Jelks Cabaniss didst inscribe upon an
electronic papyrus:
>Just curious: do some folks here think the HTML WG's decision to banish the
>style attribute to the Legacy dungeon for XHTML 1.1 is a Good Thing?  B and I
>elements are apparently still cool, yet consensus was evidently reached in the
>HTML WG as to inline-CSS deprecation.  I know *some* here  oppose it (as do I
>unless convinced otherwise); I would like to hear counter-arguments from those
>here who think that it is indeed a good thing to do.

Let's take a real-world example. I use CSS for syntax coloring on
<http://www.natural-innovations.com/as/snippets.html> (yes, that's
a Mac-oriented page for an obvious reason). I'd like to know how
the syntax coloring could ever be done without inline styles.
Well, unless I were to make new tags for each syntax part, but then
it wouldn't be HTML anymore.

-boo