Re: monochrome

From: Matthew Brealey <thelawnet@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 16:39:40 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org
Michael Hamm wrote:
> > > I think it would be good to have monochrome and color print and screen
> > > media. Just one example, off the top of my head:
> > >
> > > dfn{color:black;background-color:#ffa;font-style:normal}
> > > in the color-screen and color-print media and
> > > dfn{font-style:italic}
> > > in the monochrome-print and monoschrome-screen medium.
> >
> > Personally (and incidentally) I consider it the height of rudeness to
> > include colours in print style sheets.
>
> I fail to see why.

At present it is - colour ink is very expensive, so to waste your
customer/page viewer's money on colour ink, which adds nothing to
printed pages (black is almost always better and much faster).

> Especially with the above idea implemented.

I was referring to the current position; i.e., at present it is rude; in
future with print_color, maybe not.