Re: Logical gap in UI WD

From: Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 11:14:52 -0800
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, thelawnet@yahoo.com
>From: Matthew Brealey
>Date: Thu, Feb 10, 2000, 7:32 AM
>
> There is a logical gap in the UI WD.
>
> At present, content's initial value is "".

Yes, empty string, as defined by CSS-2.

> This is not changed by the WD.
>
> The WD states that content can now be used to replace content, so <Div
> style="content: radio-on">This won't be rendered</div> gives a radio
> button.
>
> However, since content's initial value is "", the result for <div>A normal
> div element</div> surely must be an empty DIV.
>
> Now to counter this, it seems that there is a need for a non-replaced
> value for content, so content: non-replaced specifies that the contents of
> the element should be used.
>
> In addition, I would propose a change to the initial value of content to
> non-replaced. This does not alter current generated content rendering:

Good catch.

Yes, there is a need to represent the "normal document contents" of the
element as the value of the content property, and to have that as the initial
value.  Since :before and :after generated content pseudo-elements have no
"normal document contents" this is fully backwards compatible with the
behavior described in CSS-2.

Thanks for the feedback,

Tantek