RE: is this legal css?

From: Bill dehOra <Wdehora@cromwellmedia.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 14:03:59 -0000
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>

> OTOH, there's this non-normative example:

Yes, my example is a clipped version of this.

> This is prima facie invalid, but I actually think it is the grammar that
> is in error (perhaps not in error but at least misdefined), since the
> following is currently prohibited:
> @media projection {
>  @page {margin: x}
> }
> @media print {
>  @page {margin: y}
> }
> , which is clearly absurd.

Yes, that's what I thought. However, my take is that as things stand, the
given grammar has to be taken as correct, and that the CSS2 examples you
cite *are* invalid, regardless of absurdities. That's uncomfortable, but the
grammar defines the language. I can't be doing with inducing the grammar
from arbitary examples.

> Therefore in CSS 3, media must be changed to:
> media
>  : MEDIA_SYM S* medium [ ',' S* medium ]* '{' S* [page|ruleset]* > '}' S*
>  ;

One option would be to have the examples added to the errata list and get
your production on the the agenda for the next CSS WG ftf.

A clarification on where the CSS WG stand on this would be cool.

-Bill