Re: line-height (was: inline h*ll)

L. David Baron (dbaron@fas.harvard.edu) wrote:
> > Almost nothing should override line-height.  Superscripts and
> > subscripts absolutely should *not* affect line spacing.  Very large
> > type or images might.
They don't.

sub
     Lower the baseline of the box to the proper position for subscripts
of the parent's box.
super
     Raise the baseline of the box to the proper position for superscripts
of the parent's box.

If this meant 'raise the box so that the baseline is in the proper
position for the parent's box', it would say so (note that Opera et al
have implemented the incorrect version of this)
(At one point I would have concurred with you on this point, but if you
actually read the spec you will see that the box moving approach is
irreconcilable with the plain words of the spec).
> If you only want them to change the line-height when necessary, you
> could suggest:
>
> sub, sup {
>         line-height: normal; /* or perhaps 1.0 */
>         }
>
> This is a reasonable thing to put in the user stylesheet of a browser
> (if it isn't in the appendix of CSS2, it probably should be...).  Or,
> if you want to be more extreme (and allow the potential for overlap):
>
> sub, sup {
>         line-height: 0;
>         }
This happens already; see above.

> > Unfortunately, the spec already defines a different algorithm.  It's
> > okay, just ugly.  Perhaps there should be a property that lets the
>
> I think it's a good thing that, by default, text doesn't overlap.
It does.

=====