Re: Columns as ancestors

On Fri, 04 Feb 2000 14:19:29 -0800, Matthew Brealey
(thelawnet@yahoo.com) wrote:
> descendant of some ancestor element A. For the purposes of descendant
> selectors, table cells are treated as descendants of table columns. For
> all other purposes however, table cells are not descendants of table
> columns.

This is impossible, because one can't know what elements are table
columns until after the cascade has been completed.  (It is truly
impossible to add to the current CSS table model, but possibly (??)
only because of the rules for anonymous table elements.  However, if it
weren't for those rules, it would require complete style resolution on
parent elements before cascading of rules that apply to their children,
which is a significant limit on implementations.)

This is one of the deficiencies of a row-primary table model.  I think
it is best solved by things like the nth-child pseudo-class in the
current CSS3 draft [1].

-David

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS3-selectors#structural-pseudos

L. David Baron    Sophomore, Harvard (Physics)    dbaron@fas.harvard.edu