Re: Best practice for font control

From: Christian Ottosson <f95-cot@f.kth.se>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 06:07:05 -0500 (EST)
To: www-style@w3.org, Bill dehOra <Wdehora@cromwellmedia.co.uk>
On 2000-01-21, you wrote:

>  Given that a lot of the people on CHI-Web are in the business of web
>  usability, I think it might be A Good Thing to compile the suggestions of
>  www-style members on this matter, be they from mailed comments here,
>  recommended URLs, or direct email. I want to post the findings to CHI-Web,
>  where it can be archived for them.

Todd Fahrner has already given you a more extensive answer. I just
want to point out that I get really irritated when css- and
html-authors try to change the size of the normal text for screen
display. I have set the size I prefer in my browser and smaller
(which is the most common case on mac and unix, authors set font="1")
makes it hard or impossible to read, bigger is to no good and just
waste of screen space. As the author don't know the font-size used by
the viewer for normal text, it's not a good idea to use fixed size
for headers etc either. There is no way to know how much
smaller/bigger it gets. Use font-sizes relative to the normal text
(em or %) instead.

Thanks!
--
Christian Ottosson