Re: What's an em

Just van Rossum wrote:

> (Don't ever start measuring letters: it's a dead end, since it's not exact
> by definition. Take two simple lowercase letters 'o', one light, one very
> heavy. Scale them so they are exactly the same height. View at small size.
> The bold one looks smaller.)

That's a good point. I suppose the way around this is to measure the
glyphs of the normal weight font, and apply the result to the other
members of the same family (bold, light, italic, etc). Hopefully, all
members of a family are designed by the same designer, and hopefully
s/he doesn't introduce randomness at this level (though it seems from
some comments I have seen on the www-font list that artists love to
create randomness and to confuse the poor programmers that are trying to
standardize everything :-)

Erik