Positioned items disarranged when IE5 zooms

From: Bob <HughesBob@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 06:03:04 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
My apologies if this is not an appropriate question for the list, which
I've only just discovered. The prob may be terribly basic but has me
stalled.

I am making a version of Coleridge's "Ancient Mariner" (classic candidate
for hypertext) with Coleridge's marginal glosses (and other things to
come) absolute-positioned in the margins.

I have given the body "position:relative" to establish containment
hierarchy; the text of the poem is inside <pre> tags, and I use
em-positioning throughout.

At the moment I am using IE5 (Mac).

If I zoom the page, the glosses lose their alignment with the relevant
lines of the poem - which at first seems to indicate I have not got my
containment hierarchy right. Yet when I reload the page (at the new
zoom-level) correct alignment is restored.

Is this a known problem of IE5 - or could my containment hierarchy be at
fault after all?

At any rate, I would appreciate a fuller description of containment
hierarchies than what is given in the books.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Best regards,

Bob Hughes

Bob Hughes - new-media developer, adviser and writer.

Web:         http://www.dustormagic.net
Phone:       +44 (0)117 973 3869
Mobile:      07968 292499
Mail:        HughesBob@compuserve.com | Bob@dustormagic.net