Re: CSS 2 Section 8.5.3

Jerry Baker wrote:

> While working on Mozilla, I had suggested to the developer responsible
> for CSS implementation that "inset", "ridge", "outset", and "groove"
> were ugly in Mozilla and that they could be improved. I was told that
> the CSS2 specification prohibited, in section 8.5.3, making the
> improvements I had suggested. Specifically, the following sentence:
>
> "The color of borders drawn for values of 'groove', 'ridge', 'inset',
> and 'outset' depends on the element's 'color' property"
>
> That statement makes emulating native buttons and other outset/inset and
> ridge/groove objects under Windows impossible by using those CSS
> properties. The Windows UI always draws the same border colors for these
> regardless of the element's color.

[I've made a mental note to up the time I spend reading emails from 3 to
5 seconds - I misunderstood.]

The ridge/groove/outset/inset do indeed relate to the colour specified,
and so they should. It is simply that Mozilla chooses rather drab
looking colours for this purpose; when one specifies border: ridge
systemcolour xxxPX, the only reason that the border looks as it should
is because the browser chooses an appropriate algorithm for calculating
the light and dark colours from the specified colour, which Opera does
well (and IE almost as well), whereas Mozilla does not.

> Did the W3C really mean to make native OS widget color emulation
> impossible under Windows in the same specification where they are trying
> to "integrate them [colors] into the user's graphic environment"?

It is possible, as you demonstrated in IE, which bases the colour on
that specified.