Re: CSS 2 Section 8.5.3

From: Ian Hickson <ianh@netscape.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 01:07:01 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
To: Jerry Baker <jerrybaker@weirdness.com>
cc: www-style@w3.org
On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Jerry Baker wrote:

> While working on Mozilla, I had suggested to the developer responsible
> for CSS implementation that "inset", "ridge", "outset", and "groove"
> were ugly in Mozilla and that they could be improved. I was told that
> the CSS2 specification prohibited, in section 8.5.3, making the
> improvements I had suggested. Specifically, the following sentence:
>
> "The color of borders drawn for values of 'groove', 'ridge', 'inset',
> and 'outset' depends on the element's 'color' property"
>
> That statement makes emulating native buttons and other outset/inset and
> ridge/groove objects under Windows impossible by using those CSS
> properties. The Windows UI always draws the same border colors for these
> regardless of the element's color.

That is not the problem. The problem is that the sentence you quoted
should simply not be in the spec, and those values should be dependant on
the 'border-color' property like all the other border styles. Once that is
done, you can simply give the 'border-color' property the correct value --
probably ThreeDFace or something equivalent -- and that should be used to
calculate the border's real colours.

--
Ian Hickson                                     )\     _. - ._.)       fL
Netscape, Standards Compliance QA              /. `- '  (  `--'