Percentage values for Height and Width properties.

From: ValerieGSharp <ValerieGSharp@netscapeonline.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 18:50:37 +0100
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
I imagine this would mostly be used to cause boxes to occupy a specified
percentage of their containing blocks.
However, when margins, borders and padding are added, the object will
extend beyond that percentage, and possibly even beyond its containing

(For example, if I make a document 100% high and put a border on it, the
bottom of the border disappears off screen, and a scrollbar appears.)

I would be surprised if this particular effect were widely required -
rather, I suspect that most folk would prefer the *whole* object to be
occupying the specified percentage of the containing block (somewhat in
the way that 'auto' width - but not 'auto' height - is calculated?).

Maybe I've missed some other way to achieve this in CSS2, bit if not
then I suggest:

"10.2 Content width: the 'width' property
  Specifies a width which is determined with respect to the width of
the generated box's containing block according to the following:

  'left' + 'margin-left' + 'border-left-width' + 'padding-left' +
'width' + 'padding-right' + 'border-right-width' + 'margin-right' +
'right' = percentage width of containing block "

And likewise for "10.5 Content height: the 'height' property..."
(including, of course, the bit about "If the height of the containing
block is not specified explicitly...etc").

Val Sharp - Edinburgh