Just a dream about inheritance

From: Daniel Glazman <glazou_2000@yahoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 11:54:52 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
Looking back to the P language (the style language used by Grif,
Symposia and Amaya (?)), I still regret one of its wonderful features.
It was possible, in the P language, to set the value of a property
in function of the value of another property assigned to the parent
element, the next element, the previous element, and so on.
For instance :

     width = previous.width + 0.5cm

That mechanism was not so simple to implement in the Grif editing
tools but allowed to produce very powerful and professional stylesheets.

I dream of a similar mechanism in CSS. That mechanism could be
achieved by the use of selectors on the right side of a declaration.
For instance (still dreaming) :

            color : inherit(TABLE.header)
or even    color : inherit(BODY, background-color)

Inheritance could also be completely deferred. For instance :

     inherit : inherit(HEADER)

All inherited values would then come from the first HEADER element
in the document...

It does not break the usual inheritance and specifity mechanisms
of CSS.

Miam ! Just an old dream... Don't flame too strong :-)

</Daniel>