Re: Extensions to CSS3 selectors

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Jonas Sicking wrote:

>I have some suggestions for extensions to the current CSS3 selector WD:
>
>1. Empty cells
>Some way of selecting empty elements, my suggestion is a pseudo-class called
>':empty'. This could be used to supply defaultvalues through CSS and also
>functions like marking of missing data and more powerful hanling of empty
>cell then the current 'empty-cells' property.

Would you consider an element such as <HR /> as empty?  What about
<TEXTAREA></TEXTAREA>?

Either way, I suggest that it's a good idea to define precisely what
constitutes an empty element, especially if the element is replaced.

--
Tim Bannister - isoma@compsoc.man.ac.uk
  "Decide promptly, but never give any reasons. Your decisions may be