Re: anonymous table objects

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 19:30:42 +0200
To: ament <ament@xs4all.nl>
CC: www-style@w3.org

ament wrote:

> There is no statement about _when_ the anonymous-table rules are applied or
> in what order. So legally spoken you can apply them in random order. I will
> process the rules (below) in 2 different orders (VERSION 1 and VERSION 2)
> which are both technically correct but will have different results.

This discussion assumes that the CSS is modifying the source tree, and thus
generating mutation events, and thus selectors affect different elements.
If that were the case, your conclusions would be correct.

Instead, CSS is implicitly generating a result tree. The source tree is not
modified. The infoset does not change. No DOM mutation events are
generated.

> This
> means you don't know what the browser-result will be. The browser may
> choose how to render the result. Any interpretation using the specification
> and respecting all spec-rules is legally correct.

With the corrections above, you can see that this is not the case.

--
Chris