Re: proprietary "css" properties...

On Thu, 06 Apr 2000 10:29:10 +0200, Daniel Glazman
(daniel.glazman@libertysurf.fr) wrote:
> The title says it all. Launch Netscape 6 preview, select menu "What's new
> in netscape 6", view the source of the resulting document and search for
> "-moz-".
>
> Some time ago in another life, I asked Microsoft to provide us with a
> list of their proprietary extensions to CSS. I am still waiting for the
> answer. I hope that Netscape will not follow the same path :-)

A quick flip through some source code shows the following extensions to
CSS being parsed in Mozilla (I didn't check all the keywords for things
I didn't recognize as CSS2).  There are currently properties being
parsed that aren't otherwise implemented, although I suspect the
parsing for these properties may be removed before release.  I can't
guarantee that the Netscape commercial version is the same as Mozilla,
but I wouldn't expect any differences.

Properties with the -moz- prefix:
-moz-border-radius
-moz-border-radius-topLeft
-moz-border-radius-topRight
-moz-border-radius-bottomLeft
-moz-border-radius-bottomRight
-moz-outline-radius
-moz-outline-radius-topLeft
-moz-outline-radius-topRight
-moz-outline-radius-bottomLeft
-moz-outline-radius-bottomRight

  - These properties are for rounded corners on borders and outlines.
    The shorthand ones take up to 4 lengths or percentages.

The following proposed CSS3 properties are listed as being parsed
(which doesn't mean they're implemented yet):
behavior
box-sizing
key-equivalent
resizer
user-focus
user-modify
user-select

The following are listed, but they may only be used internally:
clip-bottom
clip-left
clip-right
clip-top
text-shadow-color
text-shadow-radius
text-shadow-x
text-shadow-y

  - They're expansions of shorthand properties (or clip rect()).

Other properties that aren't in CSS2:
opacity (It's currently disabled anyway, but its also part of the SVG
  draft.)

Keywords with the -moz- prefix:
-moz-bg-inset
-moz-bg-outset

  - These are values of the 'border-style' property.  The first of
    these is used for the implementation of the HR element.

-moz-center
-moz-right

  - These are values of 'text-align' used internally to capture some of
    the strange meaning of align="center" and align="right"

-moz-pre-wrap

  - This is a value of 'white-space' that preserves whitespace but
    still breaks lines (why isn't that in CSS?).

-moz-scrollbars-none
-moz-scrollbars-horizontal
-moz-scrollbars-vertical

  - These are values of the 'overflow' property.  They seem to be used
    internally for something (form controls?).

-David

L. David Baron    Sophomore, Harvard (Physics)    dbaron@fas.harvard.edu
Links, SatPix, CSS, etc.     <URL: http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~dbaron/ >
WSP CSS AC                      <URL: http://www.webstandards.org/css/ >