Re: proprietary "css" properties...

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@fas.harvard.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 12:25:24 -0400 (EDT)
To: daniel.glazman@polytechnique.org, www-style@w3.org
On Thu, 06 Apr 2000 10:29:10 +0200, Daniel Glazman
(daniel.glazman@libertysurf.fr) wrote:
> The title says it all. Launch Netscape 6 preview, select menu "What's new
> in netscape 6", view the source of the resulting document and search for
> "-moz-".
> Some time ago in another life, I asked Microsoft to provide us with a
> list of their proprietary extensions to CSS. I am still waiting for the
> answer. I hope that Netscape will not follow the same path :-)

A quick flip through some source code shows the following extensions to
CSS being parsed in Mozilla (I didn't check all the keywords for things
I didn't recognize as CSS2).  There are currently properties being
parsed that aren't otherwise implemented, although I suspect the
parsing for these properties may be removed before release.  I can't
guarantee that the Netscape commercial version is the same as Mozilla,
but I wouldn't expect any differences.

Properties with the -moz- prefix:

  - These properties are for rounded corners on borders and outlines.
    The shorthand ones take up to 4 lengths or percentages.

The following proposed CSS3 properties are listed as being parsed
(which doesn't mean they're implemented yet):

The following are listed, but they may only be used internally:

  - They're expansions of shorthand properties (or clip rect()).

Other properties that aren't in CSS2:
opacity (It's currently disabled anyway, but its also part of the SVG

Keywords with the -moz- prefix:

  - These are values of the 'border-style' property.  The first of
    these is used for the implementation of the HR element.

  - These are values of 'text-align' used internally to capture some of
    the strange meaning of align="center" and align="right"

  - This is a value of 'white-space' that preserves whitespace but
    still breaks lines (why isn't that in CSS?).

  - These are values of the 'overflow' property.  They seem to be used
    internally for something (form controls?).

L. David Baron    Sophomore, Harvard (Physics)    dbaron@fas.harvard.edu
Links, SatPix, CSS, etc.     <URL: http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~dbaron/ >
WSP CSS AC                      <URL: http://www.webstandards.org/css/ >