RE: shrink-wrap

From: <JOrendorff@ixl.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 16:02:39 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
http://www.alarmist.org/news/2000/03/census.html
is ugly in IE because IE nonstandardly shrink-wraps the box at
the top of the page.  (It should be as wide as the viewport.)

In this case, browsers should follow the standard until there's
something better.

Something better would be welcome.  For this stage of CSS's
evolution, an added "shrink-wrap" feature (which only applies
to one-line blocks) seems okay.

But as CSS continues to grow, it gets increasingly unwieldy.  It
isn't just the browser writers that can't keep things straight.
(It used to be.  But now even content developers, or "stylists",
have problems with all the CSS properties.)  I think a major
change is needed.  But I don't know what it should be.

Does anyone agree, or have suggestions?

--
Jason Orendorff