W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-style@w3.org > April 2000

Re: Text-Decoration

From: Fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 21:55:25 -0400
Message-ID: <38E94B8C.AFCC14A@escape.com>
To: www-style@w3.org
> = Matthew Brealey's wrote

-- Re: T-D Affecting the Block On Which It Was Assigned --

> No. It affects that element because you have applied it to that
> element [paragraph with 'text-decoration: underline'].

"If the property is specified for a block-level element, it affects all
inline-level descendants of the element. If it is specified for (or
affects) an inline-level element, it affects all boxes generated by the
element."

In the case of a block-level element, all inline-level descendants are
affected. Nothing about the element's box itself, whereas for
inline-level elements, it affects _all_ boxes generated by the element,
explicitly including the element's box.

Is the block-level element's box then implicitly affected?

How does text-decoration affect a _block_ box?

-- Re: T-D Affecting Descendants --

> > Your quote is true, but it says 'descendants' not 'descendant
> > boxes'. If 'descendants' meant 'descendant boxes', it would say so.
> > Since it does not, it would be wrong to treat it as anything other
> > than 'descendant elements'.
> In addition to affecting that [block-level] element it affects all
> inline-level descendants (rather than affecting all descendants).

<DIV style="text-decoration: underline">
<P> Some Text <SPAN>spanned text</SPAN> </P>
</DIV>

So, would the "spanned text" be underlined, even though "Some Text", as
you say, would not?

<DIV style="text-decoration: underline">
<P> And all of a sudden, the underline <em>*appeared*</em>! </P>
</DIV>

^______^


-- Re: The Manner in Which T-D Affects the Descendants --

> I disagree. The spec says that text-decoration 'affects' descendant
> elements; it does not say that it 'spans' them or that it is drawn at
> the same place throughout.

The spec also says that text-decoration is not inherited. If it is to be
inherited, the spec should say that text-decoration is inherited and
that the color is inherited with it, no?

-- Re: The Positioning of the Underline --

> | > No I disagree. The underline of the descendant element is rendered

> | > on top of that of the ancestor element so although the underline
is
> | > there, it is obscured.
> |
> | But the parent's underline is not drawn at exactly the same place,
>
> Again this is a matter of differing interpretations.

Are you saying that the user agent determines a fixed position relative
to the baseline for all underlining, regardless of what font is used for
the underlined text?

-- Re: The Use of Graphics As Text --

>That's all very well but using graphics, even if they are svg, as text
>is not really terribly semantic (it's not really much better than
spacer
>gifs and text buttons made from images).

Supposing I have a page demonstrating ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs. If I
represent these glyphs as Unicode text, how is anyone to see them? They
do not have a font with these glyphs on their system.

I ask the viewers to download such a font, the only one I have on hand.

But the font is seven megabytes because it is a general unicode font
including the Latin, Arabic, Cyrillic, Hangul, Hiragana, Katakana, and
CJK Ideograph sets, among others.

Nobody wants to download seven megabytes of font just to view a single
page.

Therefore, in the name of semantics, I must learn to create my own font?
Received on Monday, 3 April 2000 22:02:47 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 27 April 2009 13:54:04 GMT