Re: CSS-Tranformation mechanism and modularizing CSS

Sjoerd Visscher writes:

> Seeing this discussion about BECSS and if it should be allowed
> inside a style sheet, I want to propose an idea I've had for
> a while now:
>
> Seperately defining the transformation part of CSS (CSST),
> in such a way that it can be used for all kinds of purposes.
>
> What is the transformation part of CSS?
> I think it is: "dynamically adding attributes and content
> to a (already structured) document".
> These attributes and content do not have to conform to
> a DTD or Schema of the document. They are added for
> presentational purposes only.

This is just to provide some links to related resources:

Your idea is not too different from STTS3, a submission that W3C
received from EDF, about two years ago (updated last year). See
http://www.w3.org/Submission/1998/19/

It has a slighly different processing model from CSS, because it not
only *adds* to an existing document structure, but can also *remove*
things, but otherwise the syntax is the same as CSS.

There is an implementation available of the first submission, STTS2
(called CSSize, see
http://www.edf.fr/der/html/produits/publications/w3c/CSSize/cssize.en.htm).

Also, the CSS working group plans to release the selectors, syntax,
and cascading/inheritance/value-assignment modules of CSS3 as
independent specifications, so it becomes easier to design CSS-like
languages to add other things than style to a document. See
http://www.w3.org/Style/css/current-work

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/INRIA