Packaging (was: Embedded style and style wrappers)

From: Jelks Cabaniss <jelks@jelks.nu>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 18:42:19 -0400
To: "Bert Bos" <Bert.Bos@sophia.inria.fr>, <www-style@w3.org>
Bert Bos wrote:

> > I am interested in the mechanism(s) hinted at in
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-stylesheet/ (see last paragraph) -- has
> > there been discussion of some kind of "wrapper" file ...
> You're not the only one to suggest it. I've heard the same from some
> W3C members as well (who presumably got it from their customers), so
> there may well develop a working group in a couple of months. It
> certainly seems like a good idea to me.

I just noticed some hints of this.  The newest XML Activity page has this

	In September 1999, we begin the third phase, continuing the
	unfinished work from the second phase and introducing a
	Working Group on XML Query and plans for a Working Group on
	XML Packaging.

Also, the new Schema WD[1] gives this as one possible option of locating

	The namespace URI of the item to be validated is
	dereferenced and yields a package. A standard property
	of the package tells what kind of package it is and
	hence how to go about getting schema info out of it.
	We anticipate a great range of flexibility in the
	structuring and content of packages: schemas will
	certainly not be the only thing in them. All that
	matters to us is that we can get a schema out of them;

[1]  http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/