Packaging (was: Embedded style and style wrappers)

Bert Bos wrote:

> > I am interested in the mechanism(s) hinted at in
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-stylesheet/ (see last paragraph) -- has
> > there been discussion of some kind of "wrapper" file ...
>
> You're not the only one to suggest it. I've heard the same from some
> W3C members as well (who presumably got it from their customers), so
> there may well develop a working group in a couple of months. It
> certainly seems like a good idea to me.

I just noticed some hints of this.  The newest XML Activity page has this
paragraph:

	In September 1999, we begin the third phase, continuing the
	unfinished work from the second phase and introducing a
	Working Group on XML Query and plans for a Working Group on
	XML Packaging.

Also, the new Schema WD[1] gives this as one possible option of locating
schemas:

	The namespace URI of the item to be validated is
	dereferenced and yields a package. A standard property
	of the package tells what kind of package it is and
	hence how to go about getting schema info out of it.
	We anticipate a great range of flexibility in the
	structuring and content of packages: schemas will
	certainly not be the only thing in them. All that
	matters to us is that we can get a schema out of them;

[1]  http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/

/Jelks