Re: Do overlapping statically positioned elements "obscure" each other

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 12:25:29 -0400, Ian Graham
(igraham@smaug.java.utoronto.ca) wrote:
> However, returning to block element overlaps -- how should the overflow
> property affect this?  We are implicitly considering overflow: visible,
> but if we use overflow: hidden, should this clip just the content,
> or also the background? Intuitiion says both - but I've learned that
> intuition can be a dangerous thing ....

The 'overflow' property is defined in CSS2 to control whether (and how)
the content of a box overflows outside of the value of the 'clip'
property.  This includes the background and border of its children (and
all inline content), but not the element itself [1].

I don't think it's implemented quite this way in current browsers.
Furthermore, it's not completely clear to me how (if at all) clip
should interact with scrollbars.

In the cases we've been discussing, I don't think there is any overflow
(except perhaps of floats in my example [2], but the example could be
changed easily).

David

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visufx.html#overflow
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/1999Sep/0067.html