Re: Minor error in CSS2, section 14.2; 'background'

----- Original Message -----
From: gordon <gordon@quartz.gly.fsu.edu>
To: 'www-style' <www-style@w3.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 12, 1999 3:20 PM
Subject: Re: Minor error in CSS2, section 14.2; 'background'

[snip]

> > If the HTML node had "historically not been rendered", we would not be
> able
> > to see HTML documents in browsers! The BODY and HEAD nodes are children
of
> > the HTML node. Thus, if the HTML node is not rendered, by definition one
> > would not be able to see its children.
>

> This is downright silly as it asserts that one faces an all-or-nothing
> scenario in which case one would also render the head node as well.

I don't follow your logic here. Why do you think that because HTML is
displayed, HEAD must be displayed? Under the CSS rendering model, a
non-displayed node is hidden (along with all its children). Displayed nodes
can have children which are not displayed. Consider

  head { display: none }
  body { display: block }

What is silly about this?

> > Importantly, the UA you describe would not conform to W3C
Recommendations,
> > since that is not what they specify.
>

> "The body of a document contains the document's content. The content may
be
> presented by a user agent in a variety of ways. For example, for visual
> browsers, you can think of the body as a canvas where the content appears:
> text, images, colors, graphics, etc. "
>
> Sound familiar?  It should, since it's from 7.5.1 The BODY element, HTML
4.0
> Specification W3C Recommendation 18-Dec-1997.

This passage is not relevant. The latter sentence is simply an informative
statement that may or may not be applied to document rendering models. The
CSS specifications specify the CSS rendering model. If you write a non-CSS
browser, you are free to use the BODY element to represent the concept of a
canvas. However, for a CSS browser, the CSS specs state otherwise.

--
Braden N. McDaniel
braden@endoframe.com