Relative font-sizes on the root element (Was: Minor error in CSS2, section 14.2; 'background')

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, L. David Baron wrote:

> [1] For some properties (those that inherit by default), the default
> value is different for the root element, though.  A more logical way of
> handling this might be to describe a super-root element where all the
> properties' values are UA-dependant.  This might also explain:
>
> HTML { font-size: 2em; }
>
> which I believe is currently formally undefined.

It should probably be treated in much the same way as percentages on the
root element, as should the other relative values (ex units, larger, and
smaller) - see section 4.3.3:

# When a percentage value is set for a property of the root element
# and the percentage is defined as referring to the inherited value of
# some property, the resultant value is the percentage times the
# initial value of that property.

I cannot find anywhere that explicitly states that, though.

CSS2-editors: Consider this another suggested errata item...

--
Ian Hickson
: Is your JavaScript ready for Nav5 and IE5?