Re: New CSS attribute: BLEND

From: Ian Hickson <py8ieh@bath.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 23:08:49 +0100 (BST)
To: Per Andersson <per.andersson@cherry.se>
cc: www-style@w3.org
On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Per Andersson wrote:

> I've got a suggestion for an addition to CSS: BLEND. It would affect
> the background of a table cell in that way that it takes two or more
> colors and perform a color blend ranging between the colors. It could
> also have a DIRECTION directive, specifying horizontal or vertical
> blend.

This has already been suggested. It is a good idea, but it is likely that
SVG [1] would provide a better of doing this than CSS ever could.

I would suggest that CSS _not_ provide a native way of doing gradients.
SVG is a low-bandwidth alternative that will provide the same
functionality, but in a more powerful way. Once SVG is established, we
will be able to use CSS to draw gradients like this:

   td { background: green url(green-gradient.svg); color: white; }

...where green-gradient.svg is an SVG graphic which draws a radial
gradient centered at 58% 32%, etc.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/

--
Ian Hickson
: Is your JavaScript ready for Nav5 and IE5?