Re: CSS3 Paged Media Draft

Long ago, Ian Hickson wrote:

> SUMMARY:
>
>   1. string-set should take comma separated list.

I agree. I'll add it.

>   2. open|close-quote should be expanded in content not in string-set.

See below. I agree, and will update the spec to reflect this
interpretation.

>   3. hidden-policy is a good idea.

I agree with your analysis. Thanks.

>   4. @counter/@string rules need their scope defined.

I agree with you that they should cascade. I'll update the spec to
reflect this.

>   5. proposal for 'counter-step'.

I'll add it.

> 2. What are the exact semantics of 'open-quote' and 'close-quote' in
> the context of the string-set property? When is the nesting counter
> reset? To what is it relative?
>
> For example, what quotes would be on the following?:
>
>    :root { quotes: "1" "1" "2" "2"; }
>    Q:before { content: open-quote; }
>    Q:after { content: close-quote; }
>    Q { string-set: quote open-quote content() close-quote; }
>    X { content: string(quote); }
>
> Would an element X have the content "1quote1" or "2quote2"?

We don't know, because we don't know the structure of the document.
Quote nesting is based on the document tree, and generated content
does not alter the document tree (see CSS2).

> What about here?:
>
>    :root { quotes: "1" "1" "2" "2"; }
>    Q { string-set: quote open-quote content() close-quote; }
>    X { content: open-quote string(quote) close-quote; }
>
> Would X read "11quote11" or "12quote21" ?

Again we don't have the document structure so we can't know whether
it will use 1s or 2s. The real question here is "does content()
include generated text?" My interpretation is that it does not, again
because generated text doesn't modify the document tree, and
content() grabs and flattens the text right out of the tree. I'll
explicitly state this in the "content()" section in the next revision
unless this proves controversial.

> I would suggest that the value of 'string-set' should not be
> "dereferenced" until the string is used (apart from attribute values
> and element content, obviously), and so the quote nesting would be
> based on what is going on where the string _is used_.

This is my understanding of how it should work. I'll work on shoring
up the documentation.

Regards,

--
Robert Stevahn   |  mailto:rstevahn@boi.hp.com
+1 208 396 4787  |  HP Representative, W3C CSS-WG, SVG-WG.