Re: What is "specified content?"

From: Daniel Glazman <Daniel.Glazman@der.edfgdf.fr>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 23:58:47 +0200 (MET DST)
To: dbaron@fas.harvard.edu (L. David Baron)
Cc: www-style@w3.org

> Rule 6 in section 17.5.1 of CSS2 [1] says:
>
>   As the figure shows, although all rows contain the same number of
>   cells, not every cell may have specified content. These "empty" cells
>   are transparent, letting lower layers shine through.
>
> What does "specified content" mean?  In particular, does it mean the

I guess that, ***in the css2 spec***, "a cell with specified content"
is a cell which is not an empty element. It contains at least some
pcdata. If this interpretation is correct, and I am pretty sure it is,
a clarification in the spec could help.

But your question is very interesting. Should

  <TD><P STYLE="display : none">foo-bar</P></TD>

be considered as an empty cell, from a css point of view ?
Personnally, I would say yes.

</Daniel>