Re: Unlogical width with percentages

From: Ian Hickson <py8ieh@bath.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 18:37:07 +0100 (BST)
To: Sjoerd Visscher <sjoerd@heeten.nl>
cc: www-style <www-style@w3.org>

On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, Sjoerd Visscher wrote:

> I thought the box-sizing was introduced because of IE, and that IE had
> border-box as default. Now Ian sais it is margin-box. Or is Erik
> Arvidsson's formula not IE's formula?

IE5 does 'margin-box'. See the Web Standards Project review:

   http://www.webstandards.org/css/winie/box_horiz.html

The 'box-sizing' property was [apparently] introduced for compatability
with HTML UAs, i.e. probably for compatability with the "size" attribute
of the <input> element.

The point is moot if all four values are implemented, though, since then
the stylesheet author can do whatever he likes. (And can also work around
a huge bug in IE5 in a standards compliant way.)

--
Ian Hickson
"I take a Professor Bullett approach to my answers. There's a high