Re: font-size and accents, again

On Fri, 26 Nov 1999 22:41:49 -0800, erik@netscape.com (Erik van der
Poel) wrote:

> Chris Lilley wrote:
> > So it seems that a corollary of that is that padding should be set to
> > (as a minimum) whatever leading is added, as a good design rule.
>
> No, the padding is outside the content height, and the content height is
> the line box height if there is only one line, and the line box height
> is the inline box height if there is only one inline element, and the
> inline box height is the line-height of that inline element.

That's actually not true.  It's a known error in CSS2 that has not yet
appeared in the errata.  I reported it to css2-editors a while ago and
the discussion following my report confirmed it was an error.  The
padding and border of inline elements fit vertically around the
*font-size* as the height of the box, whereas the line-height is only
the logical height used for placement of the inline box within the line
box and computing the size of the line box.  This is clear in CSS1.

-David

L. David Baron    Sophomore, Harvard (Physics)    dbaron@fas.harvard.edu
Links, SatPix, CSS, etc.     <URL: http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~dbaron/ >
WSP CSS AC                      <URL: http://www.webstandards.org/css/ >