Re: font-size and accents, again

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@fas.harvard.edu>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 10:05:38 -0500 (EST)
To: chris@w3.org, erik@netscape.com
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Fri, 26 Nov 1999 22:41:49 -0800, erik@netscape.com (Erik van der
Poel) wrote:
> Chris Lilley wrote:
> > So it seems that a corollary of that is that padding should be set to
> > (as a minimum) whatever leading is added, as a good design rule.
> No, the padding is outside the content height, and the content height is
> the line box height if there is only one line, and the line box height
> is the inline box height if there is only one inline element, and the
> inline box height is the line-height of that inline element.

That's actually not true.  It's a known error in CSS2 that has not yet
appeared in the errata.  I reported it to css2-editors a while ago and
the discussion following my report confirmed it was an error.  The
padding and border of inline elements fit vertically around the
*font-size* as the height of the box, whereas the line-height is only
the logical height used for placement of the inline box within the line
box and computing the size of the line box.  This is clear in CSS1.

L. David Baron    Sophomore, Harvard (Physics)    dbaron@fas.harvard.edu
Links, SatPix, CSS, etc.     <URL: http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~dbaron/ >
WSP CSS AC                      <URL: http://www.webstandards.org/css/ >