The universal selector, inherit and important

From: Matthew Brealey <thelawnet@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 06:05:26 -0800 (PST)
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
Due to the extreme stupidity of the weight sort (the
worst [i.e., worst idea rather than most badly written
(float gets this accolade)] thing in CSS),

* {color: inherit !important}

would always result in the initial value; something I
think is worth pointing out, esp. in view of the fact
that this is a likely user style sheet.

BODY {color: black;
background: white;
}
* {color: inherit !important;
background: inherit !important;
}

If !important had been properly defined, none of these
problems [to take another example: .class {width:
50%;} DIV {margin: something else !important}, which
would totally screw up the whole page].

As I see it the definition of ! important is totally
stupid - its ONLY role should be to override the
weight sort.

I challenge anyone to name a useful way to use
!important, and then I'll show them a hundred ways
that users could get confused, with !important in
their user style sheets not working properly.

=====