Re: Conflict

On Sat, 20 Nov 1999 01:34:01 +0100, ament (ament@xs4all.nl) wrote:
> Consider the following example document-tree:
>   * HTML (margin,border,padding:0; width:auto)
>     * HEAD (ignored)
>     * BODY (margin,border,padding:0; width:auto)
>       * P (margin,border,padding:0; text-align:center; width:500)

I assume you mean 'width: 500px'.

>         * anonymous inlinebox
>           * "The lazy fox jumped over the dog, or whatever.."
>
> html.width will be viewport.width (9.1.2)
> -> body.width will be viewport.width (10.3.3)
> -> p.width will be viewport.width (10.3.3) (conflict!)
>
> What should my program do to resolve the conflict?
>   1) set p.margin-right to 'auto' (10.3.3)
>      so scrolling will never take place, even if content exceeds viewport
>    or

Choice (1) is correct, I think.  However, your conclusion need not
follow.  If the root element (or the viewport??) has overflow: auto,
then it will scroll so that overflowing children will be visible.
However, the exact meaning of overflow has never been too clear to me
(in particular, its interaction with clip when overflow is auto or
scroll).

-David

L. David Baron    Sophomore, Harvard (Physics)    dbaron@fas.harvard.edu
Links, SatPix, CSS, etc.     <URL: http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~dbaron/ >