Re: Various comments on selectors' Test Suite

"Eric A. Meyer" wrote:

> At 17:32 +0100 11/22/1999, Daniel Glazman wrote
> >5.8.1 Attribute Selectors
> >       A[HREF="http://www.w3.org/"] {color: maroon;}
> >
> >       I suggest testing some other element/attribute pair...
>
>    ...as in something like this?
>
>      A[HREF="http://www.erehwon.zzz/"] {color: maroon;}

that is the same element and the same attribute (but a different
attribute value).

As in something like this

DL[compact="compact"] { stuff }

or

TABLE[celspacing="2"] { stuff }

which is not succeptible to being overridden by existingstyle rules
on:active, :link and :visited

> >5.8.3 Class selectors
> >       The first rule needs the implementation of the universal selector.
> >       For instance NS4.7 on my platform correctly implements class
> >       selectors but not "*". So your test is false but it should be true...
> >       Suggestion : test only with a real type element selector
>
>    A good point, but at the same time, I'm trying to reproduce the examples
> in the specification as much as possible.  What do other people think:  is
> this sort of cross-contamination of CSS2 features undesirable?

This is where a "pre-test" that check certain properties and selectors
are implemented, followed by the real test which builds on the fact that
those properties and selectors can be relied upon, is a good idea.
Failing a test for the wrong reason doesn't help in hunting down the
source of the bug.

--
Chris