Re: font-size and accents, again

From: Jan Roland Eriksson <rex@css.nu>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 18:33:31 -0500 (EST)
To: www-style@w3.org
On Fri, 19 Nov 1999 10:10:07 -0800, you wrote:

[...]

>I would add that fonts with large ex-heights relative to em
>(aspects) tend to require more leading than otherwise...
>...of course, this is more art than science, so too much
>talk of algorithms is likely to offend some practitioners
>as vain.

Well, not "offend" perhaps, but still I think it will be really
difficult to find algorithms that would cover for "good art work".

My (now late) mentor used to tell me to try my best to find a good
"balance between black and white", combined with a "good path for the
eye to follow" in whatever typesetting work I was assigned (lead at that
time :).

That coincides very good with the remark that "large x-heights" needs
more leading, to adjust the black/white balance, but just that balance
it self seems to me to be a difficult thing to build an algorithm on
though.

--
Jan Roland Eriksson <rex@css.nu> .. <URL:http://css.nu/>