Re: @font-face rules

From: Erik van der Poel <erik@netscape.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 16:37:23 -0800
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
CC: www-style@w3.org
Chris Lilley wrote:

> Erik van der Poel wrote:
> >
> > However, the 2nd paragraph of CSS2's section 15.2.6 says:
> >
> >   All five generic font families are defined to exist in all CSS
> >   implementations
> >
> > What happens if the document author's style sheet specifies some
> > non-existent font for one of the generic fonts?
>
> I woiuld suggest detecting this at the time the user selects the font,
> if this happensd in a UI.

I asked about the author style sheet, not the user's selection.

> However, I would also regard any user-specified generic fonts as an
> addition to a list, rather than as a replacement.

That seems reasonable, but could we make this explicit in the spec,
please? It would then also be necessary to indicate the order in which
these items are added to the list. E.g. author, user, default. Or even
user, author, default, if !important is allowed on @font-face?

Erik