Re: The canvas

Tantek Celik wrote:

> possibilities:
>
> - have BODY "bleed" its tiling of its background-image into
the :root and/or
> canvas area - this will typically result in ugly partial
background-images
> being drawn along the top and left of the page.

The logic of this statement eludes me. How is it that partial
background-images at top left are ugly and and partial
background-images at bottom right are not?

I believe that background-image should always be positioned
relative to the padding of the element, because that behavior
allows design possibilities that any variance will eliminate.
Examples:

Let's say I have a tiled background in BODY and BODY has
different margins on three sides. Further, let's say the most
important alignment factor is that the background edge align
with the padding edge, not the canvas edge. And let's also say
that I want this background to repeat all the way to the edges
of the canvas and that I don't consider partial images ugly.
Unless the alignment of the background-image is relative to
the top left of the padding, how could I ever hope to get the
effect I want?

A second scenario: As above, but I want to put a DIV in BODY
that has a de-saturated, hue-altered version of the background
image, so that the appearance is of a tinted translucent panel
over the background. The backgound-images in BODY and DIV must
align perfectly. If the background-image does not align with
BODY's padding, how could I get this effect?

A third scenario: As above, but I want the image pattern
centered in the content + padding area. Again, unless
alignment is relative to padding, how can I get this effect?

It seems to me that any other positioning possibilities can be
had by applying background to HTML, or by using DIV. So I
argue that background-image should always be positioned
relative to padding, because an exception would create
limitations.

Should backgrounds be implemented counter to the spec for
backward compatibility if current implementation denies what
adherence to the spec would allow? I don't think so.

David Perrell