Re: The canvas

From: Ian Hickson <py8ieh@bath.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 18:47:30 +0000 (GMT)
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@fas.harvard.edu>
cc: www-style@w3.org
On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, L. David Baron wrote:

> Section 14.2 of CSS2 says both of the following [1]:
> # Margins are always transparent so the background of the parent box
> # always shines through.
> # The background of the box generated by the root element covers the
> # entire canvas.
> Therefore, one of the following must be true:
>  * The margins of the root element are colored by the background of
>    the root element
>  * The root element cannot have margins.
>  * The background of the box generated by the root element covers
>    the entire canvas minus the margins of the root element.  (This
>    doesn't make much sense to me since the canvas can be much bigger
>    than the root element if the children of the root element overflow -
>    for example, wide tables or preformatted text.)
>  * Something else??

The first one, however you can understand it in a non-contradicting
way by looking at it like this: the root element `reverse inherits'
its background up to the canvas, in a similar way as you have the BODY
element reverse inheriting up to the HTML element, except that with
the :root and canvas backgrounds you inherit the computed value not
the specified value so that an image placed at the 'top left' of the
:root box will indeed be at the top left of the root box, not the top
left of the canvas (they could, with margins or positioning, be

Ian Hickson
"So far, people have shown a reasonable amount of sense in evaluating
souls (whether they are properly priced)."
  -- Nick Gibbins; Author of http://totl.net/Soul/, 1999-10-05