Re: Color formats

From: Tim Bagot <tsb@earth.li>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 13:39:41 +0000 (UTC)
On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, Garth Wallace wrote:

> There's one item, about allowing HSV/HSL notation
> for colors. Why not CMYK? It would be very convenient
> in @media print styles.

The problem with CMYK is that it is very device-dependent, far more so
than RGB (or indeed HSV). What looks good on the author's printer could
appear very different on another one. The only real solution to this is to
use a device-independent colour space (of which several exist);
unfortunately, I suspect that colour management would be putting
unreasonable demands on user agents.

I feel that, in general, very accurate colour should not be required for
ordinary text, etc. Photographic images may well benefit from this, but
they can be supplied in an image format which can carry the relevant
information (e.g. PNG).

Tim Bagot