Re: 2 Markers and a run-in

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@fas.harvard.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 17:26:44 -0500 (EST)
To: ament@xs4all.nl, www-style@w3.org
On Thu, 04 Nov 1999 22:57:49 +0100, ament (ament@xs4all.nl) wrote:

> I'm wondering for a couple of days how the following example would be
> rendered using CSS2.
> (I need to know it for implementing css2)
>
> [*] = not part of the document-tree
> :before and :after are acting like a sibling
>
> * Part of example document-tree
>  [*] R:before (marker)
>   *  R (run-in)
>  [*] P:before (marker)
>   *  P (block-box ; non-floating ; not absolutely positioned)
>
> Would it result in a block-box 'P' containing R as an inlinebox and having
> R:before and P:before as a marker?

No.  The R element is an inline element, so its :before pseudo element
has its 'display' property changed to 'inline' (according to the last
paragraph of CSS2 12.1).

Therefore, it will be rendered as a block box (the P element), with
marker containing the 'content' matching P:before, with the following
inside the box:
 * the 'content' matching the R:before (inline, computed from marker)
 * the content of the R (inline, computed from run-in)
 * the content of the P (anything)

David

L. David Baron    Sophomore, Harvard (Physics)    dbaron@fas.harvard.edu
Links, SatPix, CSS, etc.     <URL: http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~dbaron/ >