"inherit" and the cascade

From: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 11:23:11 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org
It is my belief that the CSS-2 "inherit" value should work within the
cascade; i.e., that it may be overridden with a selector of greater
specificity.

The spec doesn't make this quite clear:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/cascade.html#value-def-inherit

Apart from use in user stylesheets, the primary utility of the
inherit value, as I see it, is simply to assert that normal
inheritance should work, instead of not-work, as in the infamous case
of TABLE and its parents in dominant UAs.

I am testing an implementation in which all of the paragraphs in the
test document below are black. It's also at
http://verso.com/~todd/inherittest.html. I think this is in error. Is
this correct?

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
   "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">
<head>
   <title>inherit test</title>
body	{