Re: xml.com

From: Daniel Glazman <Daniel.Glazman@der.edf.fr>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 09:07:41 +0200
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@operasoftware.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org
Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

> xml.com has published a set of articles [1] by Michael Leventhal that
> compares DOM+CSS to XSL:
>
>   When compared to the DOM+CSS, XSL does not solve any Web-related
>   problems that the current W3C Recommendations do not adequately
>   handle. What is the Big Deal indeed?
>
> The technical debates on xml.com should be of interest to readers of
> this list.
>
> [1] http://www.xml.com/xml/pub/1999/05/xsl/xslconsidered_1.html

The big deal is the word "adequately" (no humour in this comment).

CSS is ugly because it is not XMLized, DOM is not declarative.

On the other hand, XSL is declarative, powerful, XMLishized,
completely messy (XSL, XQL, XSLT, XTL, numerous drafts) and
especially complex and hard to read/understand. To summarize,
and in my humble opinion only, something totally *not* adequate ;-)

</Daniel>